Training to be a teacher
TRAIN TO BE A SECONDARY TEACHER IN WALTHAM FOREST 2022-23
Willowfield School , along with Walthamstow School for Girls, Kelmscott School, Holy Family Catholic School and Sixth Form, The Lammas School, Norlington School for Boys and other secondary schools in Waltham Forest. We are working in collaboration as the Waltham Forest Partnership . We are delighted to offer a range of subjects for in school teacher training on the School Direct Tuition Fee (unsalaried/PGCE) route. Trainees work alongside highly experienced classroom practitioners and spend the majority of their training in school, completing two placements in contrasting schools.
Willowfield is a former Training School and a UCL, Institute of Education Specialist Partner in Initial Teacher Training/UCL Platinum CPD Award holder and we have significant experience in working with our trainees to move them rapidly into becoming outstanding teachers and leaders of the future. Many of our trainees now hold positions in middle and senior leadership roles in local schools. Our work is supported by NELTSH (North East London Teaching School Hub). We support our trainees to gain employment in local schools and continuing support and professional development pathways.
Our School Direct training is delivered in partnership with UCL, The Institute of Education (University of London) and the University of East London.
School Direct Training Route
A full time Post Graduate Certificate of Education course with QTS awarded at the end.
1 year in length from September 2022.
Secondary School Direct Places
- Biology (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NN UCL
- Art and Design (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NQ UCL
- Design Technology – Food (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NT UEL
- Computing (Non-Salaried) placements Code Q233 UCL
- English (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NM UCL
- Maths (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NJ UCL
- Geography (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NL UCL
- Music (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NR UEL
- History (Non-Salaried) placements Code 36NK UCL
- Physical Education (Non-Salaried) 36NS UEL
Financial Incentives for the Academic Year 2022-23
- Degree classification: 2:2 or above
- The degree must be in related academic subject area
- Grade C/Level 5 or above in GCSE English and Mathematics (equivalency tests are overseen by UCL)
- Trainees will be required to pass the skills tests before starting the course. This will need to be completed by August 2022 at the latest.
- School experience (e.g. observation or previous work as a TA) before applying to the course is highly favourable
The application process will be open from October 12th 2021 via https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training
Further information about the School Direct routes into teacher training can be found at: http://getintoteaching.eduction.gov.uk/waystotrain
We intend to contact short-listed candidates from December for interviews from January.
Please note: Acceptance onto our programme is subject a seccond interview with either the University of East London or with UCL, the Institute of Education.
If you have any queries, please use the contact us page.
For more information about tuition fees and maintenance please visit:
We look forward to your application.